Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2012 22:54:41 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10/9: Lexar 64GB JumpDrive USB 2.0 isn't recognized anymore!

> I have a Lexar 64GB USB 2.0 JumpDrive which worked in its "pristine" or
> "virgine" state very well. I used it yesterday, brand new, to fill it up
> with data. Some 30GB data got stored, I shut down the system (FreeBSD
> 10.0-CURRENT/amd64) and this morning, I put the USB drive out of the USB
> port (computer off) and took it to the office.
>
> At the office, neither a FreeBSD10.0-CURRENT box nor a FreeBSD
> 9.0-STABLE box (both moth recent buildworld) where able to recognize the
> drive! While the USB drive was recognized as /dev/da1s1 before, this
> time I see in the console something like this:
>
> ugen7.6: <Lexar> at usbus7
> umass1: <Lexar USB Flash Drive, class 0/0, rev 2.00/11.00, addr 6> on usb=
> us7
>
> And nothing further anymore.
>
> On a Linux box (Suse) the USB drive can be read as well as on a Windows
> 7 box (I only read the content, I didn't write onto the USB drive on
> both systems).
>
> What is up? Since Windows and Linux can read/recognize the drive and
> FreeBSD not, I guess FreeBSD does have a problem with that kind of 64GB
> drive.
>
> I do not care of the data on the USB drive, so I'd like to GPART it. But
> without having a device node created, this is very unlikely to achieve.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Please CC my email, I'm not subscribing this specific list.

Think hardware power cabling bad socket,
Power available from socket.
Power doubler (twin plug) cables.
external powered hub

I have some towers here cant power some discs.
I have one powered hub here, has an extremely weak power supply,
Its not always the OS that bites you, but hardware too.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".