Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2016 05:04:44 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The ports collection has some serious issues

On 12/12/2016 02:42, Janky Jay, III wrote:
> Hello scratch,
>
> On 12/11/2016 03:35 PM, scratch65535@att.net wrote:
>> I have to admit that I avoid ports if at all possible because
>> I've hardly ever been able to do a build that ran to completion.
>> There's always some piece of code that's missing and can't be
>> found, or is the wrong version, et lengthy cetera.   I've never
>> done release engineering, but I honestly can't imagine how some
>> of the stuff that makes its way into the ports tree ever got past
>> QA.  It would get someone sacked if it happened in industry.
>>
>> If the dev schedule would SLOW DOWN and the commitment switched
>> to quality from the current emphasis on frequency, with separate
>> trees for alpha-, beta-, and real release-quality, fully-vetted
>> code, the ports system might become usable again.
> 	This very, VERY rarely happens to me and I use ports *ONLY* in
> production environments. If you could please provide examples and report
> the issues to the port maintainer of the ports with issues, that would
> greatly help this situation. (Please don't take this as an insult or
> anything other than trying to be helpful...) Simply complaining about it
> without providing any additional information is certainly not going to
> improve anything.
>
> 	Being a port maintainer myself, I depend on people reporting any issues
> they run into in order to provide the most robust and dependable port I
> can. If people never reported any issues and I had no idea there was an
> issue with my port, how would I fix it? So, please, PLEASE report any
> issues with ports that aren't building. It's not too time consuming on
> your part. Just a simple BUG report and how to re-produce and you're
> finished.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Janky Jay, III

I second scratch. Building the ports with default options may not be an
issue but I am rarely (if ever) able to build all 1000+ selected ports
(using poudriere) with the options that I selected. Whenever I can I am
raising issues with port maintainer but they very rarely get addressed,
at least in timely fashion. Even with just 1000+ ports, if an issue
takes a few weeks to resolve (which would be great) it's highly probably
that at least one other port gets broken by the time the first issue is
resolved. With that approach I would never be able to cleanly build all
the ports that I need. So, to make at least some of the build
successful, I have to revisit various options and try to disable them to
verify which ones will allow me to build the ports successfully.

It's not as much a compliant, as I understand it's all done by
volunteers in their free time, but it makes me wonder how FreeBSD even
gets its current popularity within the industry with such stability.

Grzegorz