Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 2002 06:39:38 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drive Space - Am I Getting All I Should?

Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> Oh OK, duh.  I knew that but 6G seemed so large that it didn't
> register in my head.  After all, I had already lost 8G since it's
> supposed to be an 80G drive but FBSD only sees 72G.  :)  I don't know
> how it works but one never seems to get all the space that is
> advertised in a drive.  I suspect it has something to do with total
> storage capacity vs. formatted storage capacity but that's a topic for
> another discussion.  Thanks for pointing me back in the right
> direction.

I can clear the 80G/72G thing up right now (since it's something I
complain about a lot.)
The HDD manufacturer considers 1G to be 1,000,000,000 Just about everyone
else in the computer world considers 1G to be 1024 * 1024 * 1024.
Thus, what the HDD manufacturere calls 80G, computer OSes calculated to
be 72G.
You didn't lose the space to formatting, you appeared to lose it to a
marketing gimick.  By using 1,000,000,000 a 1G, drives appear to be larger
than if you use the same system everyone else uses.
Unfortunately, there's no standards body that has stated what the value
is for a G, so the HDD manufacturers are free to do whatever they want.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology