Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 1997 18:31:55 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "George M. Ellenburg" <gme@inspace.net>
Cc:        "'isp@freebsd.org'" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FW: Touching Base

[Redirected to just -isp; please don't cross-post to more than
one mailing list - thanks!]

> An associate of mine is experiencing a rather unique problem with his
> FreeBSD box (P233, 64Mb Ram, 2 Maxtor 3.0gb IDE Hard Drives) ... I'm
> enclosing an excerpt from our message.  Perhaps you may have some clues
> as I'm stumped.

Not unique at all, this is bad memory, not a software problem.

The fact that CheckIt did not find any errors is also hardly
surprising.  CheckIt is not a sufficient tool for this purpose and
will find only the most egregiously obvious errors (and even then,
almost never at all if your guy forgot to turn the internal and
external caches off before running the CheckIt tests!) - any hardware
engineer who actually knows what he is doing will laugh at this
particular diagnostic method, and with good reason.

I've talked with TouchStone software, the makers of this beast, and
when challenged they'll admit that a hardware based memory checker is
really the only tool for the job if you want to be sure.  I've taken
*known bad* SIMMS and run CheckIt on them, just as a test, and had it
pass them with flying colors (at which point I called TouchStone and
had the aformentioned dialog, just to be sure my suspicions were
correct).

					Jordan