Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:30:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Joseph M. Scott" <jmscott@ainet.com>
To:        Spidey <beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Which POP/IMAP server to use?

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Spidey wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm setting up a mail server, and I had the joy to see that FreeBSD
> featured 3 servers that would comply with my needs (imap-uw, cucipop,
> cyrus). I heard that qpopper wasn't quite safe, and I don't know really
> much of the 3 others... What shall I do?

	There was a rather big issue with on older version of qpopper.  If
you are installing a recent version of FreeBSD ( 2.2.8 and 3.0 of course
definitely falling into this category ) then the version of qpopper listed
in the ports/packages is the newest and as far as I've heard there aren't
any security issues.
	I played with some of the other options, mostly with the idea that
it would be nice to get imap going.  The biggest problem I had with imap
was the clients.  Outlook and Netscape both support imap, but must do it
in different ways, because they seemed to step on eachother a fair bit.
If I recall correctly it dealt mostly with folder creation.

	Anyways, my $0.02

> Spidey

* Joseph M. Scott
* jmscott@ainet.com