Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:48:03 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Charles Allen <ccallen@swbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDL 5.2.1 on FreeBSD 3.2?

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 09:35:47PM -0500, Charles Allen wrote:

> Now when I try to start idl I get
>
> charles@juniper$ idl
> /usr/local/rsi/idl_5.2/bin/bin.linux/idl: error in loading shared libraries
> libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> even though the library really is around in a standard location:
>
> charles@juniper$ locate libXp.so.6
> /usr/X11R6/lib/aout/libXp.so.6.2
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6

Presumably it wants the Linux libXp.so.6, which would live somewhere
under /compat/linux.  I don't have it on my system, but it looks like
/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base now includes it.  You should probably
install a recent version of that port, and see if it helps.

Now, if only our IDL site license would be valid for machines not
owned by the Institute, I would be happy to try it out... :-)

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Inertia is a property
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * of matter.