Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 14:52:03 +0000
From:      Emre <emre@iris.vsrc.uab.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFW

Hi,

I apologize if this question is not appropriate for this list but...

I just installed FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT (19991226) on a box.  I also recompiled
the kernel so it would support SMP.  All I basicly did is change two lines
concerning SMP in the GENERIC kernel (I followed the handbook).  The box
is running just fine and I am very pleased with it.  Here is the problem:

I'm trying to firewall it using ipfw, when I issue the command

ipfw add deny udp from any to any 1-2200

I get

00000 deny udp from any to any 1-2200
ipfw: setsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Protocol not available

I only changed two lines in the GENERIC kernel.  Did I screw it up?
I assumed packet filtering was enabled in the GENERIC kernel by default.

Can anyone give me hints on how to fix this, or what this message means?
I already RTFM and the stuff in the handbook (the man page looks very similar
to the stuff that was in the handbook).

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

(PS: does the IPFILTER package work with FreeBSD?  Because I'm used it and
ipfw syntax is kinda anal.  If so, has anyone tried it and successfully
used it?  Thanks.)

--
Emre Yildirim
Fingerprint = B16C EBA7 97FE EF2C 365F C4C4 54AA 3676 5E9E E10A