Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:45:21 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@ofw.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of Libtool 1.4.x ?

--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 11:24:52PM +0300, Dan Naumov wrote:
> Hello
>=20
> I was wondering what is the status of the libtool 1.4 port ? I recall
> the the initial PR was submitted many months ago and with Libtool 1.4
> having been released an entire YEAR ago, more and more programs now
> depend on it. Due to this, many ports in the ports tree can no longer be
> updated until the new Libtool goes in. I already recall someone was
> complaining he was no longer able to update the ports he was maintaining
> because of this and the CVS of my favourite game (games/quakeforge) has
> long ago moved to libtool 1.4 too.
>=20
> A quick search through the PR database shows that the libtool maintainer
> was supposed to "look at it prior to 4.8-release" but now 4.8 is out and
> I still see no working libtool 1.4 port. If so much testing is needed to
> ensure the current ports don't break, isn't it possible to make the
> libtool port work in the same way as multiple versions of automake and
> autoconf do ? At least that's what Linux distribution vendors seem to do
> and it seems to work well enough...

That's precisely what we're working on, but it is NOT an easy job!
ade@ is taking care of this.  We worked on this a lot before 4.8, but
there were still several ports that did bizarre things that we
couldn't get to work.  I haven't heard from Ade in a few days about
the latest progress on this.

Kris

--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F

--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F--