Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2012 21:30:01 GMT
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/167566

The following reply was made to PR conf/167566; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 22:29:03 +0100

 >  Which module do you refer in "...the module is loaded, ...",
 >  ipfw_nat.ko or ipdivert.ko?
 >
 >  In my understanding the problem occurs only when ipfw attempts to
 >  load firewall rules including a "divert" directive and ipdivert.ko is
 >  not loaded at that time.  natd(8) also requires ipdivert.ko, but
 >  rc.d/natd already has required_modules="ipdivert".
 >  firewall_nat_enable is a knob for in-kernel NAT (this requires
 >  ipfw_nat.ko), so more orthogonal way would be like the following
 >  patch:
 >
 >  http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/ipfw.20121028-1.diff
 >
 >  It is still unclear to me what is harmful with "checkyesno
 >  natd_enable" here.  Can you elaborate it a little more?

 Check rcorder:

 [crees@pegasus]~% rcorder /etc/rc.d/* | grep -E 'natd|ipfw'
 /etc/rc.d/ipfw
 /etc/rc.d/natd

 That means that natd doesn't run until after ipfw.  This means that on
 boot, when ipfw runs, neither ipfw_nat nor ipdivert are installed,
 *regardless of the state of natd_enable*.

 Therefore, checkyesno natd_enable does not guarantee that either
 ipfw_nat or ipdivert is loaded *at the time rc.d/ipfw is run*.

 Chris