Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 08:44:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940UW and SMP

> The "Freeing (NOT implimented) irq 9 for ISA cards." line is saying that
> since the APIC_IO code is using the CORRECT PCI irq 19 to service the de0
> card, it SHOULD be "undirecting" the ISA irq 9 from it.  The "NOT implimented"
> part notes the fact that this code hasn't been written yet (because its
> chipset dependant and I don't have all the info I need to support all
> the possible chipsets yet).  So we have a situation where the upper level
> PCI code knows that 2 distinct IRQs are being used for de0 and ahc1 (19 & 9)
> BUT the hardware is delivering INTs generated by the ahc1 via both the
> ahc1 vector (irq 9) AND the de0 vector (irq 19).  This could explain the
> missing INTs as well as the "sometimes" locks.
>
> Test this theory by booting the APIC_IO SMP kernel with the de0 card removed
> from the system.  Note that with this card removed the BIOS will probably
> re-assign the PCI INTs, possibly causing de1 to provoke the same problem,
> remove it also for this test.

In my system, I have the on-board IDE stuff disabled.  I also have nothing
on IRQ 5.  Which leaves IRQs: 5, 14, and 15 totally unused.  I have them
marked for PCI/PNP use in my bios yet it still won't use them.

After discovering this, I removed one of the ethernet cards like you
suggested.  The result was it was still sharing (IRQ 10 this time).  It didn't
use IRQ 9 at all.  So then I removed the other ethernet card.  Now nothing
was sharing an IRQ but the kernel still failed in the same way (not passing
control over to init).