Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2006 11:14:35 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rcorder question

--gatW/ieO32f1wygP

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 11:25:01AM +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
> intro:
> We rely heavely on am-utils (/usr/local is so mounted), and most
> of our hosts are dataless/diskless. As usual, I try to keep the local
> changes to minimum to smooth upgrades.
>=20
> 	/etc/rc.initdiskless
> 	/etc/rc.d/amd
> and
> 	early_late_divider=3D"amd"
>=20
> problem:
> i need to move abi to start after amd (/compat is in /usr/local/compat),
> and im looking for a clean way to do this, without breaking too many thin=
gs.
>=20
> any suggestions?

This is tricky.  We've typically assumed that /usr/local is mounted by
the time mountcritremote is done.  I think the right thing to do is the
change things so that both abi and amd run between SERVERS and DAEMON
and make abi explicitly depend on amd.  amd is already in the right
place, but abi is currently a requirement for SERVERS which is almost
certainly wrong.  In the unlikely event that a non-native server
actually needs to start before DAEMON is should just depend on abi.
Things that start before DAEMON should not expect a working environment
unless they really try hard to get it.

This may or may not be an issue for you, but I think we're going to
want to consider to splitting ldconfig so we run it on the base before
SERVERS and on other directories later on.

As to a clean way of making this sort of changes locally, there isn't
really one.

-- Brooks

--gatW/ieO32f1wygP

--gatW/ieO32f1wygP--