Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 23:19:36 -0400
From:      David Heller <dheller1@rochester.rr.com>
To:        Gerlbonnie@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

Gerlbonnie@aol.com wrote:

> I have a friend with an IBM PS/1IT with Windows 3.1. Can freebsd be installed
> on this computer? She is a shut in with no funds to get any upgrades OR new
> computer system.
>                                     Thanks,
>                                                                 Bonnie Maloney

Another problem that I have found with these systems is they won't even
run Windows 95 correctly in less you have windows 3.1x that came from
IBM installed first as the software has to talk to IBM's weird bios on
these boxes. The reason I suspect this, is a friend of mine with a PS2
or was it a PS1 (can't remember which) hosed his 3.1 windows software by
trying to install Windows95 over it. And according to IBM's web site the
only way to fix his computer was to install their version of windows3.1x
on it which is NLA. Apparently the bios runs some kind of graphical
interface/shell that the OS has to talk to before it will boot. Anyway
make sure you have the original software disks before attempting a
install of Freebsd.

Regards,

Dave