Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:08:00 -0600
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, www@FreeBSD.ORG, phantom@FreeBSD.ORG, ru@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGML->HTML: entities translation is broken for non-Latin1 charsets

On Saturday, March 04, 2000, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
> Right way is to not translate &...; entities from sgml source at all and
> leave them in place. Browser always know better substitution for them.

   No, you'd have to have a list of some sort of the HTML
standard entities and use them when translating to HTML from
SGML.  There are other SGML entities that begin with &...; such
as &rel.current; which can't be preserved into HTML.  Then
there's the issue of other various formats like TeX and RTF.
Will we handle those the same too?  Or will this just be an HTML
issue?

   Anyone have the same Latin1/non-Latin1 issues with other
formats?

--