Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 14:51:45 -0700
From:      "Josef C. Grosch" <jgrosch@xsvr2.cup.hp.com>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE or SCSI if only one drive

On Aug 8,  2:11pm, Scott Blachowicz wrote:
> Subject: Re: IDE or SCSI if only one drive
> "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG> wrote:
>
> > Lately, however, I've obtained quite acceptable performance from
> > fast IDE drives with fast CPU's (486DX4/120 and up). It seems that
> > the CPU gets the tranfer done quickly enough to not make the user
> > responsiveness of the system too sluggish. Not too sluggish for
> > me, that is. That wasn't the case with slower CPU's. IDE's cheaper,
> > though perhaps not appreciably. YMMV, try both.
>
> "not appreciably"?  I've been looking for a 2Gb disk lately and I've been
> seeing IDE 2Gb drives around $300 and the cheapest I've seen for a SCSI 2Gb
> drive has been around $450.  I'd rather have the SCSI drive, but I don't have
> that kind of budget.

[ SNIP ]

>-- End of excerpt from Scott Blachowicz

I just say an ad for a 3 gig SCSI disk for $399.00 at Fry's (a local computer
store chain). I don't mean to be difficult but I have seen 2 gig drives for
around $300 to $325. Check out the computer shopper. There are SCSI disk for a
little more money than IDE. Just have to look a little harder.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch, 47LG4 | "Laugh while you can, | My opinions are mine, not
jgrosch@cup.hp.com  |    monkey boy!"       | HPs. They have'nt paid for