Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:53:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        e9203125@linf.unb.br, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Majordomo

Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Alex Carlos Braga Antco wrote:
>
> >   I installed majordomo onto my FreeBSD, and I have some problems :
> >
> >    1) It doesn't tell anything about DIGEST and WRAPPER ? What are they
> > ?
>
> Digest turns messages that have been sent to the list, cats them
> together, and posts them as one big message with an identifying number.

	for an example subscribe to freebsd-hackers-digest.

> >    2) How do I configura digest and wrapper (directories, etc.) ?
>
> They are configured on a list-by-list basis.  wrapper is used when
> running majordomo; the install instructions for majordomo should direct
> you to use it in /etc/aliases.

	digesting is configured on a list by list basis.  it requires
	turning digesting on in the lists config file, creating a
	digest list (freebsd-hackers-digest vs freebsd-hackers)
	and adding to the aliases for the list in /etc/alises

from freebsd-hackers.config:
	digest_issue      =   1
	digest_name       =   freebsd-hackers
	digest_volume     =   1
	maxlength         =   40000

from /etc/aliases:

freebsd-hackers:                "|/home/majordomo-1.92/wrapper resend -p bulk \
		-l hackers -f FreeBSD-hackers-owner -h FreeBSD.ORG  \
		hackers-outgoing"
freebsd-hackers-outgoing:       "|/home/majordomo-1.92/bulk_mailer -N 50 \
		-m owner-freebsd-hackers /home/mail/lists/freebsd-hackers",
                freebsd-hackers-archive,
                "|/home/majordomo-1.92/wrapper digest -r -C \
		-l freebsd-hackers-digest freebsd-hackers-digest-outgoing"
freebsd-hackers-digest-outgoing:        \
		:include:/home/mail/lists/freebsd-hackers-digest
freebsd-hackers-archive:        /home/mail/archive/freebsd-hackers

	WRAPPER is a security item for or majordomo.  is is configured
	once for the entrie majordomo installation.  not on a per
	list basis.

> >    3) When I try to execute majordomo, it says that majordomo.pl (or
> > majordomo_version.pl) isn't on $INC (or something like that, don't
> > remember !). Looking that majordomo is a perl script, witch version of
> > perl does it requires ? (I think mine is 4.X ??)
>
> I think it takes 5.x.

	majordomo-1.93 and majordomo-1.92 are made for perl-4.036
	your majordomo.cf file is inconsistent or lacking.  majordomo
	examines its %ENV array for a HOME directory and looks for majordomo.cf
	in there, failing that it looks in /etc/majordomo.cf.  majordomo
	then adds its HOME to the %INC array.  that's how it finds the
	other majordomo perl files (eg majordomo.pl)

# $homedir -- Where can I find my extra .pl files, like majordomo.pl?
# the environment variable HOME is set by the wrapper
if ( defined $ENV{"HOME"}) {
     $homedir = $ENV{"HOME"};
} else {
     $homedir = "/home/majordomo-1.92";