Date:      Sat, 3 May 1997 13:05:50 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@mail.tgci.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Tape device wt0 (was Re: Compiling custom kernal problems)

I guess I'm going to try a low level format of the disk, or maybe
just put a scsi one in to take care of the problem below--

(Thanks to Wolfram Schneider for your comments--your note's on another
machine so I'm not replying to it...)

But a couple questions (and I'm new to BSD, please!!!):

I've a Wangtec qic-02 cartrigde tape and lots of tapes  and saw that
fbsd supported it so I installed it.  Looking in the /dev directory, I didn't see
wt0, although I enabled support for it and it was seen on boot.

So, I thought I needed a custom kernal.  That failed as below.   I
also tried MAKEDEV wt0.  No errors, but didn't see the device.  Did
see rwt0.  Can I write to this?  How?

Problem:  I can't compile a new kernal 'cause apparently my disk is
hosed.  To fix it, I'd really like to backup my system and then
format the disk.  But I can't get the tape to work  without a new
kernal (is this true?  I have my doubts!).

Is this Catch 22?  <grin>  It's not all that serious, but I would
like to backup if possible first, and any help/pointers/comments
would *really* be appreciated!

Cheers,

Riley