Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:48:48 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        marcus@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/68241: portlint suggest the use of undocumented macros

+----[ Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des@des.no> (23.Jun.2004 11:32):

| Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar> writes:
| > 	Upon running portlint -a I get messages like the following:
| > 	WARN: /home/fernan/.../pkg-plist [21]: consider using DOCSDIR macro
| > 	WARN: /home/fernan/.../pkg-plist: %%PORTDOCS%%@dirrm %%DOCSDIR%% is missing
| >
| > 	The use of these macros is not documented in the Porter's
| > 	Handbook, nor on the portlint(1) man page.
|
| http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/dads-documentation.html
|
| DES
| --
| Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no

+----]

Oh I see. The problem is that I was expecting to find
something like this here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/porting-plist.html

There is a mention here to PLIST_SUB and how setting VAR=VALUE
pairs would make %%VAR%% be substituted with VALUE in the
pkg-plist. But it seems that DOCSDIR should not be used like
this. That was what confused me from the examples I saw: no
one set PLIST_SUB+= DOCSDIR=${DOCSDIR}

So, IMO, the problem is that there is a link in
'dads-documentation.html' pointing to 'porting-plist.html'
("See more on pkg-plist substitution __here__"). But not the
other way around. Perhaps it could be helpful to have a link
added in 'dads-documentation.html'? Maybe before starting to
talk about when this substitution takes place ("This
substitution (as well as addition ..."), as an addition to
the previous paragraph?.

Thanks for the pointer, and sorry for the noise.

Fernan

--
F e r n a n   A g u e r o
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan