Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:24:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        sleek@enabled.com (Noah Garrett Wallach)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive Failure

> Hi,
>
> my current system drive is having difficulties some files that were
> in great shape are now EBADF.  This drive is known as ad0 (yup IDE)
>
> So I installed a new drive and have moved all files over to it.  The
> new drive is known as ad2.
>
> Is my fdisk usage here proper?  Is this the proper response from
> fdisk?  What else should I be doing?  What might I be doing wrong?
>

> root@typhoon# fdisk -B -b ./boot0 ad2

Presuming you want the whole new drive for FreeBSD and want it
bootable, you are on the right track.

You might want to use the -I switch and the typical location for
the boot0 is in /boot/boot0, though ./boot0 works if you are in the
right directory.

So try:   fdisk -I -B -b /boot/boot0 ad2

Looks like that will give you a 73GB FreeBSD slice OK - probably a
nominally 80 GB drive.

////jerry