Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:57:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      mjmundy@usa.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/24725: failing install: not loading proper adaptec driver

>Number:         24725
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       failing install: not loading proper adaptec driver
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
during installation, the user config utility within the installation
menu does not contain the necessary driver for my adaptec 2842
controller.  i am having to create the kern.flp and mkfsroot.flp
bootup floppies to install from.  i can't seem to find in any of the
docs/helps/readmes/FAQs/etc on *how_to_add* the driver for the 2842,
though on one of the readmes, it is said that this controller is
supported.  I had the exact same problem when trying to install from
my freebsd 3.3 distro.  sorry, the BIOS does not support booting
directly from CD-ROM.

I'm looking for the procedure/command line option/whatever_it_takes
to get this driver into the kernel.  i do not have another freeBSD
system to build a kernel on for this install.

i apologize if i didn't completely RTFM and missed the answer.
thanks for helping out this freeBSD newbie!
(am i a newbie if i can't get past the install? :-0)

-mike
>How-To-Repeat:
platorm: Ocean hippo dca/2 motherboard, 486DX2/66 cpu, 32M RAM,
Adaptec 2842 SCSI controller w/ floppy, generic vga, 3 SCSI disks,
SCSI CD-ROM, SCSI 4mm DAT (Archiv Python).  This system has had linux
working on it.
create install floppies and go for it.  - unable to add driver for
adaptec 2842.

suggestion, if it's not already been done:  one of the readmes/helps
should have a "this is how you add supported drivers not included
in the generic install kernel build."