Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:24:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to configure sendmail to show "From" as ISP account?

:Personally, I find that just adding a 'Reply-To' line to my ISP
:address works just fine. However, look for 'masquerading' in the
:sendmail documentation to see how to "fake" a domain name. As for
:changing the username... I've never felt the need to do it.
:--

You want sendmail to do what is called "Masquerading".
When masquerading is properly configured it will rewrite the "From:"
address to the domain you specify on every piece of outgoing mail.

I originally tried just editing the sendmail.cf file to this:
  # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
  DMnewdomain.com

But that didn't work. Finally, I switched to /usr/src/etc/sendmail and
rebuilt the sendmail.cf file by adding a few macros.  Specifically, I
added these:

  masquerade_entire_envelope  #
  masquerade_entire_domain    # these two perform the masquerading
  relay_entire_domain         # this tells sendmail 8.9.X to accept
                              # and relay mail for my entire domain
                              # which covers all 5 machines in my
                              # apartment.
                              # (This machine is also a mail router
                              # of sorts)

More information is available at http://www.sendmail.org/, read the
FAQ and the information on configuring sendmail.

Additionally, I just learned about this one.  You can use procmail to
rewrite mail headers on their way out as well.  I'm failry new to
procmail so I won't attempt to explain that one.  :)

Good luck,
Jim