Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 17:47:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        smp@csn.net, freebsd-smp@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: sys/i386/include pmap.h

> 	smp --------------
> 		           \
> 	lite2 ---------     \
> 			\    \
> 	current----------------->
>
> But I'm pretty sure that lite2 will get merged before smp as things
> stand now.

I think that this will have to be the way that it is done.  Additionally,
as the pmap/vm changes for smp are merged in, I hope to be able to
minimize the differences -- so that we minimize the complexity of
support.  Certainly, we don't want to clobber our single processor
performance -- but yet we don't want to sacrifice any advantages of
the SMP configurations.  Darn'it I have yet to review the SMP code,
but will probably do so tonight.  At least it'll give me an idea of
what is going on.  I hope that most of the differences are in the
interrupt/exception and initialization areas.

Regarding Lite/2, I believe that DG, PHK or I will take an initial cut
on it (the work is from Jeff Hsu.)  The stuff has aged a bit (perhaps
alot.)  We'll all review/work on it, using each other as resources.
I don't know, maybe, if I continue to feel well from my vacation, I
can work on it a bit.  I'll try to commit (wishy-washy, I know) to
doing something by the end of the week (fat chance) -- those kinds of
promises from me usually mean next week sometime...

So much to do, and only 24 hours to do it in...

John