Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:20:24 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   g++-3.3.x & g++-2.95.x?

Hello again,

Another question about gcc-3.3.3.

If I'd like to use it as standard c/c++ compiler for building ports. Will
the change in the ABI between gcc-2.95.x and gcc-3.x make things fail
unless I rebuild all ports that use C++? I've read somewhere about this,
but I can't find it now. Problem would be that the change in the ABI would
make old binaries, built with gcc-2.95.x, unable to link with new
libraries, built with gcc-3.x.

Is this so? I cannot produce such a problem here. Can it happen, or can I
safely just add CC=gcc33 & CXX=g++33 to my /etc/make.conf? Experiences?

/Palle