Date:      Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:31:38 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Jaakko Heinonen <jh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ia64 r225789 panic during "make installworld": Bad buffer logic, remain = 0

--/z4P6UMu7uOEsbeQ

000011950488) locked @ /usr/src/sys/fs/devfs/devfs_vnops.c:406
> >=20
> > etc. until a hang, requiring cold reset via MP.
>=20
> Someone is calling getenv with a vnode interlock held. You need to
> figure out the caller. Unfortunately the backtrace is missing above.
>=20
> As a temporary workaround you could comment the WITNESS_WARN() line in
> getenv() (sys/kern/kern_environment.c) but it is not a real fix.

I do not think that this is the real cause of the panic. Line 406
in devfs_vnops.c belongs to devfs_allocv(), and vnode interlock taken
there must be consumed by LK_INTERLOCK call to vget(). The getenv()
cannot be called from the vget() or two unlock calls between lines
406 and 409.

It seems there is something broken elsewere.

--/z4P6UMu7uOEsbeQ

--/z4P6UMu7uOEsbeQ--