Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:40:59 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: somewhat random mostly-lockups in 5.0

> The syptoms are that the machine locks up.  Hard.  But there's a catch:

Erm, Brian, You *know* nobody can debug a problem like this without
hard information.  It's like calling a mechanic on the phone and
saying "My car won't go.  It just doesn't move at all!  Tell me what's
wrong!"

Compile in the kernel debugger and start hunting around when the
system "locks up" next time.  Just figuring out which wait address
processes are stuck on would be a BIG HELP.  Saying your machine locks
up but is still pingable narrows it down to only several thousand
lines of code.  Even jlemon's "diagnosis" is of only marginal help
without actually having access to the failing machine.

- Jordan

P.S. My -current box from April 6th has yet to do anything like this.