Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 10:52:04 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
Cc:        "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@lmc.ericsson.se>, Ian Chilton <ian@ichilton.co.uk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Re: natd locks me out

"Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" wrote:

> > > sh rc.firewall > firewall.out 2>&1
>
> ... is the correct syntax

The way I try to remember it is that "2>&1" means, "Send STDERR to wherever
STDOUT was redirected to." If you think of it that way, that bit has to
come at the end because it doesn't make sense for it to come first since
STDOUT hasn't been redirected anywhere yet.

HTH,

Doug
--
    I need someone really bad. Are you really bad?