Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:23:48 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RCng Awkwardness

Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:50:45AM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
>>I find the standard arguments used by RCng quite
>>awkward.  In particular, ... "/etc/rc.d/nfsd stop" does
>>not actually stop the nfsd process. ...
>
> ... I've found this behavior to be quite annoying. I'll
> see if I can put something together. If you want to help me out and
> put together the patches, I'd be more than happy to commit them.

I have something partly sketched out, but
it still needs some work.  I can
send you something in the next
couple of days to look at.

I see two awkward issues:

* Is it necessary to distinguish 'stop'
   (unconditional stop) from 'shutdown'
   (stop only if enabled)??

   Seems that at system shutdown you want
   everything to be taken down, regardless
   of whether it was brought up at boot
   or brought up manually post-boot.
   The unconditional 'stop' seems to be
   all that's needed.

* Local rc scripts (in /usr/local/etc/rc.d)
   will still get run with a 'start'
   argument, while system scripts in
   /etc/rc.d will get a 'boot' argument.
   That's a bit awkward, but still
   reasonably consistent:  'start'
   is still an unconditional operation.

   I don't see any way around this without
   breaking existing systems after upgrade.

Tim Kientzle