Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 23:36:31 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr (Jean-Marc Zucconi)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/printcap for Deskjet 500 and gs

>  [...]
>
>  > Incidentally, since we're talking about TeX and it's friends I have a few
>  > queries. First, what happened to the directory searching functions that
>  > we had in 1.1.5? The kpathsea stuff doesn't seem to search subdirectories
>  > like I thought it should.
>
> The latest version of the kpathsearch library has bugs. TeX is of
> course compiled with the library but the default path has no '//' in
> it. You can use the directory searching functions if you set the
> various environment variables (but because of the lib bugs, the path
> '/usr/local/lib/texmf/fonts//tfm' will not work. However
> /usr/local/lib/texmf//fonts/tfm will work)
> This is the main raison for which I have not ported dvipsk and xdvik,
> and I used the original versions. The directory searching functions are
> not implemented for dvips and xdvi.

Ok, be nice to get it working though.

>  > Also, the MakeTeXPK fails under certain circumstances because mf
>  > creates fonts with the name of jobname.<number>gf where <number> depends
>  > on the resolution and magnification of the font. In the MakeTeXPK script,
>  > $GFNAME is set to $NAME.$DPI'gf and $DPI does not alwats map to the
>  > <number> that mf generates, depending on the magnification used.
>
> The $DPI variable is provided by xdvi or dvips. Do you mean that the
> value is incorrectly computed by xdvi or dvips? I have seen rounding
> errors (eg 745gf instead of 746gf), but only on VMS :-)

Read the mf manpage. That number is not guaranteed to be the dpi
value, it is a function of the dpi value and the magnification. I
just tried to actually get an example but of course it never breaks
when you need it to :-)

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/