Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:43:58 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster PnP in -current

>  > Method 1: boot dos first and run ctcm.
>
>  I don't have access to dos so I tried Method 2.

OK, it is a good fallback method only. :-)

One question though - does your BIOS support PNP specifically? Later
Award bioses have this thing about PNP, and it kept resetting the
card settings whenever I rebooted. Pretty annoying at the time since
I was relying on being able to boot into DOS first for this to work,
and now that I'm using a new motherboard I've had to install this
driver.

>  > Method 2: use the pnp patch to configure the card (my -current-fied)
>  > version of this attached. Apply in /usr/src/sys. You'll have to edit
>  > pnp.c to insert your card's settings. As you can see, I'm using 0x220,
>  > 0x300 (usually 0x330, but I have an aha1542 at that address), 0x388,
>  > and dma 1 7 (usually 5), irq 5.
>
>  I changed to the ``default'' settings and got this result from dmesg:

Ah, get the full patch from freefall which contains pnpinfo, which you'll
need to properly set up the card. I think the full URL is:

  http://www.freefall.org/~smpatel/FreeBSD-ISA_PnP_June8.tar.gz

you'll need this to enter the id for the card. Sorry I omitted
mentioning it previously, but I'd fine tuned things here so I
could just patch away anytime I wanted to build a kernel and
completely forgot. :) Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to
it.

This "pnp support" sort of sucks, since the idea is that you should
be able to plug it in and go. Having to edit a .c file is sort of
missing the point. :-)  In any case, this allows pnp devices to
actually work, so its better than not having them work at all.

>  Board Vendor ID: CTL0070     Board Serial Number: ffffffff
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  Is CTL0070 the Vendor ID of Soundblaster 16 PnP and does the serial number
>  look normal?

No, the serial number doesn't look normal. The vendor id is probably
correct. Mine is slightly different, but I guess that's normal for
a range of products that are sold under one name but it is actually
multiple products. The "Vibra C" series, for example, is different
from the standard sb16, yet they work exactly the same. I've no idea
why they do this or what, if any, differences there are.

>  I used the latest sound driver package (guspnp12.tar.gz)
>  (thanks for pointing it out, Amancio!) but it still does
>  not probe the card.

I'm going to have to look at this shortly. I fetched it after I
read his post.

>  Maybe it's my cheepo motherboard and/or bios? Is the card broken?
>  Did I miss something obvious?

Yeah, the whole idea of pnp on isa sucks. :-)

Regards,
David

--
David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet