Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 16:35:29 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Ho Seng Yip <hsengyip@singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Weekly Output Query

Ho Seng Yip wrote:

> I got my weekly e-mail report from root in my inbox and looking at the mail,
> I found the following lines:
>
> Rebuilding locate database:
> find: .: Permission denied
> 0
>
> Can anyone explain to me what is happening here ?

Looks like whatever directory locate.updatedb starts in isn't readable
by the "nobody" user (which is practice means it needs to be world
readable in most cases). I'm not sure what directory this is, it seems
to be ~root here, you'll have to make that world readable/executable.
Hopefully `chmod a+rx ~root' should fix it. (I thought the HOME= setting
in root's crontab would override this, but it doesn't seem to have any
effect. You may like to check whatever directory that points to as
well.)

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk