Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:46:09 -0800
From:      "Christian W. Sung" <cwsung@Sung.org>
To:        Mike Nowlin <mike@r2d2.smlab.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wierd "mount" error message on 2.2.6

Mike,

At 01:18 AM 3/17/98 -0500, Mike Nowlin wrote:

>I just bumped my 2.2-STABLE machine up to 2.2.6 (first upgrade since
>October(?)), and now it won't boot....  Arrgh....
>
>I'm getting an error when it tries to mount all the filesystems:

You're not the only one that has experienced this :-)

>/dev/sd0a on /: Specified device does not match mounted device.
>
>...the /etc/fstab entry reads:
>
>/dev/sd0a     /   ufs   rw   1  1
>
>/var and /usr mount up just fine (same drive -- /dev/sd0s1e & /dev/sd0s1e)

First, run "make world" at a bare minimum, THEN rebuild your kernel. At
this point you should have everything working just fine.  You may get a
message from "mount" complaining about the root slice on /dev/sd0 with
suggestions to update fstab.  Follow its suggestions!

>A bit of grepping through the mailing list didn't turn up anything, so
>here I am...  (time passes...)  Let me make sure it still boots off the
>old kernel (more time passes...)  Seems to work.

There have been at least two or three dozen messages regarding this issue
on the past two days ;-)

>Any ideas?  (My first guess is I screwed something up in the kernel
>compile options...)
>
>--Mike
>mike@smlab.com

Hope it goes well after doing the above,

Regards,

Christian W. Sung
IS Management Consultant
Senior UNIX Consultant