Date:      Tue, 04 Jul 2000 08:12:32 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Spikeman <spikeman@myself.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Virtualhosts an multiple addresses

Spikeman wrote:

> Yes,, you can set up a vhost in apache, you should beable
> to do this on the vhosts dir in your apache conf dirs..
> just change the needed info... should look someting
> like this..
>
> <VirtualHost 192.168.0.0>
> ServerAdmin webmaster@host.some_domain.com
> DocumentRoot /home/web000/public_html
> ServerName 192.168.0.0
> ErrorLog logs/192.168.0.0-error_log
> TransferLog logs/192.168.0.0-access_log
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/web000/public_html/cgi-bin/
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Nathan Vidican wrote:
>
> > Is it possible, to have name-based virtual hosting wherein any given
> > virtual host can be accessed as somehost.com, or www.somehost.com;
> > preferably without having to add to virtual hosts to the system?
> >
> > --
> > Nathan Vidican
> > webmaster@wmptl.com
> > Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.
> > http://www.wmptl.com/

> --
>      ___
>     /\  \ phase two of global domination in operation, hide all lions.
>    /::\  \
>   /:/\:\  \ Comments or Questions email spikeman@myself.com
>  _\:\~\:\  \
> /\ \:\ \:\__\ Spikeman      spikeman@myself.com
> \:\ \:\ \/__/    http://www.spikeman.net
>  \:\ \:\__\    Find Me On EFNET /whois Spikeman
>   \:\/:/  /
>    \::/  /      Friends are lights in winter;
>     \/__/ The older the friend, the brighter the light.

Again, I am using NAME based hosting, there are almost 200 sites hosted
on that one IP address. My virtualhost setup looks something like this:

NameVirtualHosts x.94.149.9:80

<VirtualHost www.whatever.com>
 ServerName www.whatever.com
 DocumentRoot /home/someuser/public_html
</virtualhost>

<VirtualHost www.whatever.net>
 ServerName www.whatever.net
 DocumentRoot /home/user/public_html
</virtualhost>

<VirtualHost www.whatelse.com>
 ServerName www.whatelse.com
 DocumentRoot /home/some-user/public_html
</virtualhost>

I cannot simply put <VirtualHost x.x.x.x> and host on an IP basis; we're
expecting to host in the neighborhood of 2-3 thousand websites, and we
don't want to waste static IP's on those we don't have to.