Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 13:55:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jdp@polstra.com, mark@grondar.za, peter@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Static binaries and dlopen(3) with a new crypt(3) lib.

> > In general, this means adding the symbol references for dynamic
> > relocation of dlopen, et. al., as part of the crt0.o ... effectively,
> > always "dynamic linking" them into the process address space.
> >
> > We can discuss this in detail offline, if what I've said isn't
> > clear (I suspect it is, since you're a known "compiler-head" 8-)).
>
> The main idea of statically linked stuff is to allow it to work in the
> absence of /usr.  This sounds like it's getting close to breaking that,
> no?

No.  If the symbols are only resolved on reference, then they can be
present and unresolved without impacting operation.  If a reference
occurs to the symbol and the backing page is not mapped because the
object was not there, *then* a failure can occur.

How well does dlopen() work in static binaries now?  ...not at all.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.