Date:      Thu, 09 Jul 2009 19:09:59 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        Brent Bloxam <brentb@beanfield.com>
Cc:        Chris <eagletree@hughes.net>, FreeBSD-Questions Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for a high school class? (long)

Brent Bloxam wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
>> The course is HTML. Mouse button operations should be close,
>> a window that gives a simple file directory and a text editor that
>> doesn't require learning a character command set would be the
>> target.
>

> Hi Chris,
>
> Maybe look at using Xfce, which is a lightweight window manager based
> on GTK+ and is available in the ports tree and as a package (from the
> machine specs, I assume you'll be installing packages). The theme you
> use for it will impact performance as well, but the default should be
> fine.
>
> For text-editing you can try Mousepad
> (http://www.xfce.org/projects/mousepad/) and Thunar
> (http://www.xfce.org/projects/thunar/) for file management

I second XFCE. I've built similar FreeBSD machines and it will work just
fine with 256MB RAM.  You may also use some other lightweight manager
(fluxbox and the like) although these will not provide needed features
(like a file manager) unless you install additional ports.
To get a more "Mac OSX" look you may wish to install x11/wbar. As for
text editing, I find www/bluefish very nice for HTML. It supports a
number of nice features for HTML and is really very easy to use.
Since you will be installing lots of underpowered machines, I would
suggest you install one and use dump / restore to copy the installation
to the other disks.

<shameless-advertising> Have a try with my custom XFCE-based DVD at
http://freebsd-custom.wikidot.com </shameless-advertising>