Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:34:00 -0700
From:      Claus Assmann <freebsd+stable@esmtp.org>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard NCD N-123UX doesn't work with 4.x?

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

Thanks for all the help provided and sorry for the late response.
I tried several things but didn't get very far.  One thing we noticed
is that the keyboard works fine if we plug it in after the machine
booted. However, that isn't a good idea :-( I even hacked the kernel
sources to disable the probe call but that didn't help. I'm not
sure which of the start code causes the problem.

> >My NCD keyboard N-123UX doesn't seem to work with FreeBSD 4.2 and
> >FreeBSD 4.4-RC on two PCs and one laptop. It works fine with FreeBSD
> >3.2 and OpenBSD 2.9-current (two machines are dual boot: one 3.2

> options         KBDIO_DEBUG=2

When I do this, the machine isn't able to boot. It either stops
when it tries to mount / (flags 0) or a graphics characters is
printed to the screen over and over (flags 1,2). So in the former
case I wrote down the screen output:

atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbdc: new command byte:0054 (set_controller...)
kbdc: TEST_AUX_PORT status:0000
kbdc: RESET_AUX return code:00fa
kbdc: RESET_AUX status:00aa
kbdc: RESET_AUX ID:0000
kbdc: new command byte:0065 (set_controller...)
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0

Manual root filesystem specification:

No matter what I enter, the system isn't able to mount /
Does this output help anything? Maybe I try something more
next weekend.