Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 20:46:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      Peter Jeremy <Peter.Jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Package management

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 09:08:01 -0700 (PDT), David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com> wrote:
I wrote:
>>BTW, how much commercial s/w actually uses that ABI?
>?  As to the point that a lot of (commercial) stuff fails to use the
>"package" mechanism, yes, that's annoying (and your efforts to get the
>vendors to approximate reasonableness are to be commended!)
>
>But what has that to do with an "ABI"?
The `ABI' defines how a program is packaged as well the executable
format and system call mechanism.  Whilst a package format mightn't
sound relevant to running an executable, it is critical for building
shrink-wrapped software.

>>This would also make it relatively easy to support multiple, different
>>package formats (as long as the command-line interfaces were not too
>>dissimilar).
>
>I don't see that as a necessary condition, if a "wrapper" interface might
>be reasonably fabricated.
That's the way I see it - if a wrapper interface _can_ be reasonably
fabricated, then the interfaces are not `too dissimilar'.

>>  I've
>>previously avoided using the SystemV packages for this reason
Actually, there were some other issues as well, and it wasn't totally
my decision, but I was trying to point out that the SystemV tools
aren't perfect.

Peter