Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:36:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
To:        "Saffa J. Kemokai" <sulima@sulima.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, skemokai@sulima.com
Subject:   Re: PPP - Win95 Connection matter

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Saffa J. Kemokai wrote:

[..]
> I have PPP installed and configured hopefully correct as the test
> indicates no error at this point.
[..]
> The Win95 box dial into the FreeBSD. FreeBSD box answers the call, and:
>
>  "Verifying Username and Password" is displayed.
>
> I could see activity between the modem and the unit. After a while, the
> win95 box returns the following:
>
> "Dial-Up networking could not negotiate a compatible set of network
> protocol you specified in the Server Type settings. Check you network
> configuration in the control panel and try again."

Hi Saffa,

I assume you are using ppp (instead of pppd).
The username and password you type in win95 refer to PAP authentication,
so if you want to setup ppp this way, read the man page about ppp
(ie: man ppp) and search for the word pap.

Cheers
Marco
---
"Bill Gates is only a white persian cat and a monocle away from being the
 villain in a James Bond movie."