Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 16:12:41 -0500
From:      "Costa Morris" <costa@cortx.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   rdist permission denied

I've been running rdist for 2 weeks now to keep a spare server updated in
2.2.5, and it worked great.  I took down my second server to install a new
fxp0 and then booted it up as my main server.  I took down the main server
and installed a new card and booted it up as my secondary.  all worked
great, until i tried doig an rdist to update my old main server so i can put
it back to normal.

i get a permission denied when i run

rdist -Rf /etc/distfile
i have /root/.rhosts on main with:
main.com         root
second.com     root
and the same for second server /root/.rhosts

i am running the command as root. can someone explain to me why this is
happening and how i can solve it?

thanks in advance.
please reply ASAP.  thanks

-costa