Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:09:48 -0500
From:      Mike Hauber <m.hauber@mchsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help please

On Monday 15 November 2004 03:30 pm, Kris Kennaway
proclaimed:
wrote:
> > I installed freebsd version 4.9, but for some reason I
> > can't download any packages from any website, version
> > 4.8 also gives me the same problem. Why is this
> > happening?
>
> For space reasons packages for old releases are not kept
> on the main ftp site.  They may still be found on mirror
> sites, so you can look around and set the environment
> variables described in the pkg_add(1) manpage to fetch
> from a mirror once you find one that still carries the
> packages.  The website http://www.freebsdmirrors.org/
> used to list mirrors carrying various old releases, but
> this seems not to be alive at the moment.
>
> Kris

I can't remember for what ports (it was a while back), but
I've had to google the port name to find/download what I
needed (of course, you'll want to make sure the MD5
matches, else you could be installing ports that were
tampered with).  Same goes for packages.

If upgrading to 4.10-STABLE is an option, then I would go
that route instead.

HTH,

Mike