Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 23:38:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: so use sysctl (was: Re: libkvm sucks)

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

[...]

> unf!
>
> part of a multithreaded ident server that i got bored with...
> i'm not entirely sure it still works:

Yea, that idea works, thanks.  I didn't notice that the way this is done
was changed in 3.x to add the sysctl option.   I do wonder about the
quantity of raw information it exposes to anyone without it being
filtered through some "trusted" code that hides any private information,
especially if any such info is added at a later time to existing
structures.

In any case, it makes sense, and is a reasonable alternative.
Unfortunately it isn't portable, but that's life.