Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 1997 21:05:44 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Stephen Hocking <shocking@mailbox.uq.edu.au>, Studded <Studded@dal.net>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oddity with netscape and current

Stephen Hocking:
 |	Quite a lot I find that after launching netscape, itwill go into a
 |tight loop, consuming all the CPU on a ration of about 30% user & 70% system.
 |This has just happened, at src-cur.3160. Has anyone else seen it? This is
 |netscape 4.04 communicator.

Yes.  I've also been annoyed with the 4.04 lockups, especially now that
4.03b8 has expired.  3.01 has been a fallback lately.

I followed this thread (and others on the lists) regarding hack-arounds,
and so far, none have coerced Netscape 4.04 here into behaving itself for
any length of time.

So, while we're on the subject, could you all try a 4.04 test?:

     1) In 4.04, turn ON Java and Javascript & turn OFF auto-loading of
        images.  Then exit 4.04.

     2) Finally, invoke:

        <your-personal-ns4.04-hack-wrapper-script> \
            'http://necxdirect.necx.com:8002/cgi-bin/auth/docroot/index.html?nonce=guest'

If you don't get a lock-up, I'd sure like to see your wrapper script and
preferences.js!  This is just one of many pages on which 4.04 here freezes
and takes any remaining CPU with it.

Thanks,

Randall