Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 16:10:35 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interested in patches for dhcp in rc.*?

Try again after hub rejected things...

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: Nate Williams <nate@rocky.mt.sri.com>
To: Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 11:04:11 -0700

> A lot of people have been asking about our support for DHCP, and as
> cable modems become more popular, I think that those requests will
> increase. I use one, and I've been working on integrating it into my
> system.  I've got things going basically the way I want them, and it
> occured to me that adding options for it into rc.conf and rc.network
> would be useful.

Would it be possible to have the ISC/DHCP port 'patch' the system easily
for these kinds of things, or better yet add a new 'rc' file that gets
run *after* rc.conf but before rc.network, thereby relying less on
FreeBSD's changing file?  Then, you'd have the best of both worlds, the
ability to keep the 'base' stuff clean from non-existant FreeBSD
sources, and also the flexibility of being able to have the new
functionality at boot time.

Ff/when DHCP gets integrated into the tree I think it should get 'hooks'
in the standard files.

Nate

------- end of forwarded message -------