Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 15:25:40 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com, jc@irbs.com
Subject:   Re: Slice errors

>I have a -current system with 3 Conner CP30200 SCSI drives.  I have
>been using a C/H/S geometry of XXX/8/256 since Rodney mentioned
>this as the optimum geometry for SCSI disks and ufs.  Prior to that
>I used XXX/64/32 as reported by the Adaptec controller.

>With the new slice scheme I get this error for all drives:

>    sd0: raw partition size != slice size
>    sd0: start 0, end 416107, size 416108
>    sd0c: start 0, end 413695, size 413696

>The capacity reported for these drives is 416108 blocks. It appears
>to be complaining that the slice is 416108 blocks but partition c
>is only 413696 blocks.

416108 - 413696 = 2412 = 2048(one cylinder) + 364.  It used to be hard
avoid the size being rounded to a cylinder boundary (editing the label
with `disklabel -e' always rounded it).  The off by one error for the
number of cylinders may have been from believing the BIOS geometry
instead of the geometry that was printed by the the driver.  The BIOS
sometimes subtracts one from the number of of cylinders.

>Ok, I'll make the c partition == 416108,
>who cares.  Disklabel says, partition c extends past end of unit
>and does not write the label.  There are no DOS partitions on these
>Conner drives, 100% FreeBSD.

I can't explain this.  Is the fdisk output that you quoted (with 50000
sectors) for this drive.

>All of my partitions end on cylinder boundaries due to bad experiences
>in the past.

I don't know of any problems with partitions not ending on cylinder
boundaries except in the user interface.

>Do I have to use the bogus geometry reorted by the
>drive and rework all of my labels for this message to go away?

No.

>I have another system with a 1Gig SCSI disk that has a DOS partiton
>and a FreeBSD partition.  The physical disk is larger than my c
>partition but I do not get any error messages.  The capacity of this
>disk is 2031705 blocks.

>    sd0s1: start 32, end = 409599, size 409568: OK
>    sd0s2: start 409600, end = 2031615, size 1622016: OK

The c partition should have the same size as the slice (smaller than
the physical disk of you have more than one (nonempty) slice).

Bruce