Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:59:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      pumpkin@uk.pi.net
To:        FreeBSD ISP list <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple IP addresse, hostnames on one machine

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:

> [......]
> Note that a CNAME record *must* point to an A record, not to another CNAME.

	Why not?   It works for me:

	(zone file)
	Zero-Cool	IN	A	10.10.10.1
	WWW		IN	CNAME	Zero-Cool
	test		IN	CNAME	www

	(scot@Zero-Cool) ~ >nslookup test
	Server:  localhost.Hades.Org
	Address:  127.0.0.1

	Name:    Zero-Cool.Hades.Org
	Address:  10.10.10.1
	Aliases:  test.Hades.Org, www.Hades.Org

	It seems to resolve OK doesn't it?

> 1.  The aliased address is part of the same subnet/network as the primary
>     address.
>
> In this case, you need to specify a netmask of 0xffffffff (8 f's) and put

	I've heard of this before... but I can't find anyone who can tell
me why the netmask has to be different.  Personally I don't specify
a netmask for the aliases and it seems to work out OK.   Any offers?

Cheers.. Scot.

| Scot Elliott	                    |   Please note that any opinions     |
| MEng Computing IV.                |   expressed are mine, and not those |
| Imperial College, London          |   of the department or college.     |
| e-mail: s.elliott@ic.ac.uk        |   IRC nick: PlumbrBoy               |
|         pumpkin@uk.pi.net         |   "You are everything in my fridge" |