Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 11:57:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        lists@mediumgreen.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC's SysV shared memory settings+defaults be re-thought?

:> :...
:>
:>     Thanks guys.  As I thought.. the issue is almost certainly the shared
:>     memory maximum.  I've raised the default from 4M to 32M in -current
:>     and I will MFC it to -stable on monday.  I also raised the control
:>     structure limits slightly.
:
:Afaik solaris has kern.ipc.shm_use_phys set to 1 automagically,
:meaining that shared memory is not pageable.  what are your thoughts
:on making that the default?
:
:--
:-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]

    Our VM system does a pretty good job keeping the pages in core.  Sure,
    if you were running a huge database you would probably want to turn
    it on but beyond that there is no real reason to wire the memory.
    Besides, if we turned it on the increased shared memory limits wouldn't
    scale to machines with small amounts of memory.

						-Matt