Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2021 14:58:29 +0000
From:      Jeremy Chadwick via ports <ports@freebsd.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to build lang/go OR graphics/mesa-libs

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 04:12:22PM +0200, Christoph Moench-Tegeder wrote:
> ## Carmel (carmel_ny@outlook.com):
>
> > FreeBSD 114amd64 11.4-RELEASE-p13
>
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/commit/?id=620968a43a5f9bb3fa98ab20f257a4c0d864caa7
>
> Support for FreeBSD 11 was removed, there's
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tag/?h=11-eol as the "last officially
> working" point-in-time.

While this is true and certainly the cause of the OP's issue for lang/go
(not sure about graphics/mesa-libs), Go 1.17.x and 1.18.x are the last
official releases to support FreeBSD 11.x:
https://github.com/golang/go/commit/f2141a71c6619617d32c224bd2e272a07904b8e9

I dug through the ports commits after 6a5a9cc08 and it
appears the Mk/Scripts/rust-compat11-canary.sh tweak is what breaks it
(you need to look at the full file vs. the error the OP sees to really
understand what's going on, re: syscall mapping test).

It's a bit disappointing to see this fact was overlooked when
doing the 11.x ports EOL.  The tweaks to go/lang and
rust-compat11-canary.sh could have been left safely or redone in a
different manner, especially considering that the same script/etc. might
need to be used for FreeBSD 13.x and COMPAT_FREEBSD12 checking.  Oh
well.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                              jdc_at_koitsu.org |
| UNIX Systems Administrator                      PGP 0x2A389531 |