Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 00:18:51 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 release, can it be postponed?

> Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com> writes:
>
> > User PPP works right... just "differently" than before. A specific
> > reference to the different behaviour should be noted on the CD of course,
> > but I think userland PPP is quite stable and working better than ever.
>
> Yes it works, but there are a few features it would be nice to have
> before it's unleashed on the world.  Like a way to explicitly bring up
> the link when running in auto mode.
>
> It often takes me two or three tries to connect to my ISP, by which
> time a program that's attempting to open a socket has usually timed
> out.
>
> In the past, I've handled this by using invoking ppp interactively
> when I'm present and using ppp -background for cron jobs.  Now I'm
> forced to use ppp -auto and my cron jobs keep timing out. :-(

I take it the cron jobs aren't being run as root.....

I think what's required here is a "connect" command.  You could then
use pppctl:

  pppctl -v -p xxxxx -t 120 3000 connect

For the time being, I think you'll need to create a wrapper that
execs ppp as root (or run the cron jobs as root).

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;