Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:35:55 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation on SUN U10 Continued

On Thursday 23 June 2005 07:28 am, Robert Slade wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I am still having problems with installing 5.3 on a SUN U10. I cannot
> install from the CDs, bit 5.4 and 5.3. I get a short read - file does
> not appear to be executable error. I have tied it with CD's I have burnt
> and ones from a supplier. Following a suggestion, I have also burn the
> iso images onto high grade CDs, this still did not work - same error.
> The U10 does have Solaris 9 installed and this can read the CD and all
> appears to be correct.
>
> I have tried charging the CDROM on the U10, but it refuses to recognise
> the replacement CDROM as being there. Thishappens with 2 different
> CDROMs not sure why this is. I've tried reset-all but this does not make
> any difference. Any suggestions?
>
> I can get the boot only iso to boot. However, whilst this allows me into
> the FreeBSD OS on the CD and start sysinstall, I cannot delete the
> Solaris slices, so I cannot setup the disk to install FreeBSD via FTP.
> Is there any way round this?

Hmm.  The disc1 image has the same sysinstall, so it would have the same
problem.  Can you run 'sunlabel' from the fixit shell to delete the labels?
The bootonly ISO might not have 'sunlabel' available in the fixit shell, but
the 5.4 disc1 would.  You might be able to boot the bootonly CD and go into
Fixit CD mode and pop in the disc1 CD when prompted though.