Date:      Tue, 12 Jul 2022 16:02:53 -0700
From:      "Dan Mahoney (Ports)" <freebsd@gushi.org>
To:        Ryan Richter <ryan@2solnu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: offline install of perl

> On Jul 12, 2022, at 1:06 PM, Ryan Richter <ryan@2solnu.net> wrote:
>=20
> I have a machine with a fresh install of freebsd 13.1 which will never
> be conected to the internet.  I need to install perl on it (nothing
> else), but I can only transfer files by usb drive from linux machines.
>=20
> This seems like a simple thing, but I've been looking at documentation
> for a long time now and I can't find anything.  pkg looks relevant, =
but
> it is not actually installed, and anyway I can't find the url of any
> perl 5 package for 13.1 (the pkg servers seems to have directory
> listings disabled).
>=20
> If anyone could direct me toward a simple way to do this I would
> appreciate it very much.

Some sort of pkg-web machine would sure be useful, especially because =
you have the issue of dependency resolution.

What I=E2=80=99d do, personally, is spin up a quickie FreeBSD vm =
somewhere, run =E2=80=9Cpkg install perl5=E2=80=9D and then grab =
everything that pkg drops into the /var/cache/pkg, as that would cover =
all the dependencies as well.

Note that that should also get you a copy of the pkg installable itself, =
with which to bootstrap pkg.

In the =E2=80=9Cold days=E2=80=9D of FreeBSD cdroms disc2 was what had =
all this stuff, but I see no disc2 images in the FTP site. That said, =
DVD1 may still have some of that, though, and should be *fairly* =
install-complete for a common language like perl. (That said, it=E2=80=99s=
 up to the user to figure out how to use those on an already-installed =
system, the old sysinstall tool was better for doing post-install =
configuration than BSDinstall is).

-Dan=