Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 15:34:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Micropolis 4221WT Drive

Hi,

I have a little more information on the problem.

Well, it doesn't appear to be a clear-cut problem with the drive.  I took
out the 3940UW and merged the two SCSI chains onto one and put them
on a 2940UW.  Then everything worked fine.  I then yanked out the 2940
and put the 3940 back in (but all on one channel) and everything
works fine there too.

One thing I did notice.  When I booted verbose with the devices split,
Channel A didn't detect Autoterm correctly.  It thought there were no
devices connected:

ahc0: <Adaptec 3940 Ultra SCSI host adapter rev 0x00 int a irq 16 on pci2.4.0
ahc0: Reading SEEPROM...done.
internal50 cable not present
internal68 cable not present
brdctl == 0xec
external cable not present
eprom is present
brdctl == 0xec
low byte termination enabled, high byte termination enabled
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
Resetting Channel A
ahc0: Downloading Sequencer Program...ahc0: 421 instructions downloaded
Done
ahc0: Probing channel A
Choosing drivers for scbus configured at 0
scbus0 at ahc0 bus 0
ahc0: target 0 using 16Bit transfers
ahc0: target 0 synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset = 0x8
sd is configured at 0
sd0 at scbus0 target 0 lun 0
sd0: <MICROP 4345WS x43h> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
sd0: Direct-Access 4340MB (8890029 512 byte sectors)
sd0: with 4811 cyls, 11 heads, and an avera

When I put everything on Channel A, it detected termination correctly
and seemed to be working fine.  I should mention that forcing the termiantion
setting made no difference as far as the system working.

--
Keith Mitchell					Head Administrator: acm.vt.edu
Email: kmitch@weenix.guru.org			PGP key available upon request