Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 12:20:11 -0600
From:      eric_floerchinger@albertsons.com
To:        djv@bedford.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Questions

	>The manufacturers often are clueless or hostile. The answer you
	>will get from some is 'We don't support Unix'. Some have told
	>me (Toshiba, Inc) that running Unix voids their warranty. Not
so.
	>We cleared that up... it voids their warranty for NT, which was
	>what was installed by the Mfg. No problem with that.

I'd like to note that if you install FreeBSD (or any other operating
system including NT) on an HP Pavillion computer, their technical
support will not help you even on a hardware-related issue until you run
their "restore disc" and put the software back EXACTLY the way it was
when it came out of the box.  (I don't think I'd like to attempt running
*NIX on an HP Pavillion anyways, they have a /bunch/ of
proprietary/uncommon hardware in them)

	>For "binaries", i.e. pre-compiled software, there may be an
explicit
	>freebsd version. If not, the linux version may execute, using
the
	>linux-emulation capabilities of FreeBSD.  NetBSD and OpenBSD
binaries
	>can, I believe, also, /in general/ be run, but I don't know
about this.

I've also had good luck running BSDI binaries.  My college (Treasure
Valley Community College) is running an HTTP proxy using the "Webtrack"
software.  We are running a FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE box, and using the BSDI
binary of the proxy software.

	--Eric